Minor Basilica of Santa María de la Asunción

Gothic-Plateresque-Baroque. Fourteenth-Eighteenth centuries.

This parish church is the oldest, most celebrated and principal of Arcos. These titles were awarded by the Sacred Roman Tribunal in 1764. It was declared a National Monument in 1931 and Minor Basilica in 1993. The temple, separated from any surrounding buildings, settles on the remains of an Arab mosque and has been under construction for six centuries which has led to the mix of architectural styles and the participation of different professionals such as Diego de Riaño, Juan Gil de Hontañón, Alonso Rodríguez and Martín de Gaínza. It owes its main features to the works undertaken between the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries. The main façade demonstrates the fusion of late Gothic and early Plateresque. On the right side (Plaza del Cabildo) you can see the unfinished bell tower, designed by V. Bengoechea after the earthquake of 1755. The tower is square and has three sections: entrance, balcony and bell tower. In the second section, the images of San Pedro, San Pablo and the Immaculate Virgin.

This is a late Gothic hall-church, with three naves of equal height and a monumental curved apse. The naves are separated by circular pillars made of beamed rods, supporting complex star-ribbed vaults.

Although everything inside is worthy of admiration, it is worth noting the Retablo Mayor, an altarpiece which is a true Renaissance jewel; the Gothic mural painting; the uncorrupted mummy of San Felix; the Nieves chapel which houses the image of the patron of Arcos; the extravagant organ and the choir, considered one of the best in Andalusia.



From Tuesday to Saturday: 11.30 am – 1.30 pm /4.30 pm to 6.30 h

Sundays only Basilika: 9.30 am – 2.00 pm / 4.30 pm – 6.30 pm

Except Sunday mass hour: 11:00 am and 12:30 pm (No cultural visit)

The Tower is visited every ½ hour in groups of 6 pax

Price: €4 pax (Church + Tower)

¿Tienes alguna duda?

Skip to content